Dillard University offers diverse majors in two colleges and the School of Nursing:
• College of Arts and Sciences
• School of Nursing
• College of Business
To contact individuals at specific colleges, please visit our Department Heads page, or see our faculty and staff directories.
Dillard’s experienced and respected faculty creates a rich learning environment, preparing students for a bright and successful future. Below are the majors offered by Dillard University. Discover the possibilities of a Dillard education.
College of Arts and Sciences
School of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM):
• Biology (dual degree programs with partner universities)
• Physics (with options for 3-2 dual Engineering degree; with minor in Math, or Computer Science)
• Computer Science (with options in Computer Information Systems, or Scientific Technology)
• Physical Education
• Visual Arts
• Music (with options in Music Industry, Voice Performance, or Instrumental Performance)
• Theatre (with options in Performance, or Technology)
• Minors in: Spanish, French
• Mass Communication (with options in Print, Broadcast Journalism, Public Relations, Recording Arts, and Film)
• Political Science
• Sociology (with options in Criminal Justice, or Social Work)
• Urban Studies and Public Policy (dual master's degree program with University of New Orleans)
• School of Social Sciences
School of Public Health:
• Public Health (with tracks in Health Systems Management, Community Health, and Health Sciences)
College of Business
College of Business:
• Accounting & Financial Economics
• Business Management
School of Nursing
School of Nursing:
• Nursing (with tracks in Pre-Nursing, Traditional Registered Nurse, and License Practitioner Nurse)
The following changes are effective at the start of the 2016-17 academic year:
- The College of General Studies will be eliminated, which includes the Academic Center for Excellence, General Education/core curriculum, physical education, and undergraduate research;
- The Academic Center for Excellence will directly report to the Office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs;
- General education and core curriculum will be overseen by a standing committee of the Dillard Faculty Senate;
- Physical education will be placed within the administrative oversight of the Dean of Arts and Sciences;
- Undergraduate research will report to the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs.
None of the outlined changes will impact student degree programs.
After consulting with their academic advisers, students are expected to identify a major by the end of their first year and to complete a Declaration of Major form for recording in the Registrar’s office. A major consists of 36-42 hours of course credit hours, as determined by the school. No grade below “C” is allowed in any course in the major.
Students may petition for permission to double major through their academic advisors in each major. The petition must be approved by the deans for each department and by the Office of Academic Affairs. The double major calls for completion of requirements, cognate and major, in each discipline. Students who complete the second major within the same degree program (Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Science in Nursing) will have both majors recorded on their transcript; however, only one diploma will be issued.