Dillard University, classified by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education as a balanced arts and sciences/professions institution, located in the culturally rich and diverse city of New Orleans, Louisiana, invites qualified applicants to apply for the following position of University Chaplain.
The University Chaplain is responsible for the religious life of Dillard University providing pastoral care, programmatic leadership spiritual direction and moral guidance for the University community. He or she is responsible for securing funding for the Chapel and its programming. The University Chaplain acts as the liaison between the United Methodist Church (UMC), the United Church of Christ (UCC), and will be required to participate in events sponsored by both denominations to secure ministerial and financial support. This person will also be required to represent Dillard University to other denominations throughout the community. The University Chaplain must become affiliated with the National Association of College and University Chaplains (NACUC), the UMC Association of Campus Ministry, the UCC Professional Chaplains and Counselor Association, and other collegiate chaplain related professional organizations. This person must have working knowledge of The Book of Discipline of the UMC and the Policy of the Limited Church of Christ. The Chaplain is responsible for supporting students who are considering theological vocation and expose all students to the concept of vocation or calling as they select majors, consider careers and make life choices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Serve as campus pastor to all students, faculty and staff of the University, regardless of religious affiliation; promote and contribute to an environment of Christian care and concern for all members of the University.
• Respond when appropriate to situations of crisis within the campus community including illness or hospitalization or suicide attempt, death of a member of the University community death of a family member, or other emergencies where pastoral care is needed. Communicate death, marriage, baptism, confirmations to the University Community as well as provide resolution to constituents.
• Provide Holy Comm (Eucharist) to resident students who are sick and shut-in. as well as faculty and staff who reside on campus.
• Provide pastoral, spiritual and grief counseling to members of the University community.
• Provide invocations and benediction at regularly scheduled and special events and is responsible for Assembly Programs with first year students over the course of the academic year.
• Plan and lead creative interdenominational services of worship for the University special seasonal observances and assist with special worship services.
• Coordinate the planning of services with the University Music Coordinator Dillard University Concert Choir, Chaplains Council, and members of the Religious Life Committee.
• When appropriate, arrange for the participation of guest ministers and special participants for worship services.
• Encourage students, faculty, staff, alumni and the Gentilly Community participation in the Sunday Worship services.
• Works with the Office of Communications in creating and maintaining the Office of the University Chaplain website of the Dillard University Website.
• Organize and conduct programs to increase religious awareness and to further the overall development of members of the University community, particularly through their exposure to religious values and participation in religious activities to enhance the development of student religious commitment through concerns, retreats, lectures, workshops, and other special events.
• Oversee, advise and support the Residence Hall Staff in the coordination of residential religious Life Program
• Advise, coordinate and support on-campus student fellowship groups and coordinate, encourage, and support opportunities for Bible study and teaching.
• Oversee the use and maintenance of Lawless Memorial Chapel and its furnishings.
• Advise, coordinate, and support on-campus student fellowship groups and coordinate, encourage and support opportunities for Sunday School, Prayer Meeting, Class Meetings, Life Class Covenant Groups, Bible Study, and teaching.
• Fosters an ongoing relationship with the United Methodist Church and the United Church of Christ and local churches, to create opportunities in which these denominations can partner in campus ministry at Dillard University for the benefit of students, faculty, staff and alumni.
• Teach at least one course each semester as a member of the faculty. Informal or formal courses taught in subject areas, consistent with the education and experienceof the Chaplain. This person will also participate in the Leadership Institute and partner with the First Year Experience Honors Program, and the Center for Career and Professional Development Department.
• Create and publish e-newsletter on a monthly basis.
• Coordinate the publicity and outreach for the services of the Chapel
• Maintain the Chaplain web page for the University.
• Write annual program reports to the specifications of the Vice President for Student Success and balance the budget for the program.
• Identify and augment aspects of the program that are likely to attract grant dollars, and work with the Division of Institutional Advancement in performing fund raising for the program.
• Responsible for planning the Baccalaureate Service
• Other duties may be assigned.
Directly supervises student workers carries out supervisor responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws for student workers.