Do you want to be a change maker in healthcare?
The mission of the Dillard University Pre-Health Program is to provide a supportive and empowering environment for students to prepare for and pursue post-baccalaureate academic opportunities leading to placement in careers as health care professionals.
HOW WILL WE GET THERE?
PASSION • PREPARATION • PATHWAYS
The Pre-Health Program will facilitate the knowledge and resources to support students in the pre-health career decision-making process. Services are provided to students across academic disciplines with an expressed interest in the healthcare profession.
The goal is to prepare well-rounded students to pursue academic and career opportunities upon graduation.
Our approach requires individualized, timely assessments of students’ undergraduate academic progress toward their academic and professional goals.
Once students discover their passion for the health profession, we provide academic and professional guidance throughout each stage of the preparation and application processes to ensure students pursue the best pathway for their career goals.
One-on-one and group academic advising for pre-health programs
- Exposure to healthcare and public health careers
- Guidance on the application process for graduate/professional school programs
- Opportunities to network with healthcare and public health professionals
- Interpersonal skill development focusing on soft skills necessary for successful healthcare and public health professionals
- Group Information seminars to facilitate post-baccalaureate readiness
- Individual consultations for career exploration and preparation in the health professions
- Assessment and review of application materials for health professional/graduate school programs
- Travel funding for campus visits and professional conferences (limited availability)
Pre-Health students are expected to do the following:
- Meet regularly with the pre-health advisor
- Attend Minority Health and Health Equity lectures
- Engage in health related community service activities
- Actively engage in the career exploration process and preparation process through internships, research and job shadows.
- Plan ahead. Learn timelines and deadlines for the programs and resources you want to take advantage of.
- Be proactive and intentional in planning academic and professional activities
- Take full advantage of all resources provided to increase the competitiveness of your application.
- Conduct frequent self-assessments of interest and preparation for the next endeavor.
- Do your research! Don’t be passive consumers of knowledge and information.
- Discuss your interests with family members. The journey to the health career is a collaborative effort with faculty, students, advisors and family.
- Network! Mentors and advisors help position you for opportunities.
- Build your brand. Be clear about who are you beyond your test, scores and GPA
- Use your time wisely! Don’t procrastinate! Pursuing a health career is time-consuming, and requires self-discipline.
Download Pre-Health Program by Year
Dillard University is a historically Black institution that cultivates leaders who live ethically, think and communicate precisely, and act courageously to make the world a better place.